War Memorial Hospital History Tour
Meeting at the Birrell Street entrance, the tour examines the heritage listed buildings of Ellerslie, the twin Italianate villas of Banksia and Wychhazel and Edina built in the 1880s for Vickery Family members. The Nellie Vickery Chapel with several stained glass windows was donated to the hospital in 1932. The further hospital expansion of the Jeanie Morgan Wing in 1935 included two floor for maternity patients and a floor for other surgical patients.
Our tour views the new History Wall which details some of the services provided by War Memorial Hospital since its beginning to the present day. The tour includes an inspection of the Room of Curiosities on the upper floor of the E. Vickery Memorial Building formerly Edina, which displays memorabilia from the hospital’s history. We enjoy the views and morning tea from the balconies.