Randwick Military Hospital Heritage Tour
Our tour views the History Wall and discusses the phases in the development of Prince of Wales Hospital. The heritage -listed buildings of Edmund Blacket, Catherine Hayes and the Superintendent’s Residence are visited and related to the Children’s Asylum story. From 1858 when the first children arrived at the Children’s Asylum until the last child left in late 1915, the site had been one of Caring.
In October, 1914 there were 4,000 soldiers camping in the Asylum paddock prior to embarkation to the Middle East. The Military and Naval Hospital Home Bill empowered the NSW Government to take over the Asylum and the Military Forces officially managed the premises in 1916. Stories of how the soldiers and sailors lived in the hospital are recountered.
The Randwick Military Hospital continued until 1953 when the last soldiers were transferred to the new Concord Repatriation Hospital. From 1953 Prince of Wales became a general hospital before becoming a teaching hospital.