Have You Lived on Bondi Road?
In 1859 the new Waverley Council led a deputation to the Minister of Lands for funding of a public drive from South Head Road to the beach. The road was straight and called Government Road, until in 1884-1885 it became Bondi Road. Many people whose families lived on the subdivided estates of early Bondi have fond memories and stories to share of life and work in the area.
The exhibition includes a model of Bondi Road and its environs by the Waverley Men’s Shed , early subdivisions in a document display, Then and Now photos of historical places – the Bondi Post Office, School of Arts, Waverley Park, Bondi Public School and St Patrick’s Church to mention a few and display panels . We also have artefacts in several glass cabinets from the schools, shops and businesses. Two bannners displaying the early development of Bondi Road and the trams in Waverley add to the exhibition together with an audio visual presentation. Share the memories of yesteryear. Bring a Friend and enjoy.