Haberfield, Dobroyde Estate and the Ramsay family
Two Haberfield properties- St David's Uniting Church (1868-69) and the garden of Yasmar House (1856-58) will be open for inspection. Both properties have strong associations with the Ramsay family, members of whom owned the Dobroyde Estate (now Haberfield) from the 1820's to the early 1900's.
Yasmar House is the oldest extant building in Haberfield. Owned by the NSW state government since 1944, the exterior of the house has been maintained but the house cannot be entered because it is dangerous to do so! Fortunately, members of the Haberfield Association have volunteered to help renovate the garden which contains several rare plants from the 19th century. See the exterior of Yasmar House and the work being done by Haberfield Association volunteers. This property will be open from 11am to 3pm with a presentation on the garden given at noon. Information will be available on Yasmar and Haberfield Association activities.
Join us for a sausage sizzle at lunch!
St David’s Church was constructed on land donated by the Ramsay family in the 1860’s. The land behind the church contains a burial ground for Ramsay family members. For the interment of David and Sarah Ramsay, a partly-subterranean stone vault was constructed. This vault will be open courtesy of the Ramsay family.